29 October 2006

Gearing up for the Quiz

I went down to Oxford St today to get some important things- since I can't see myself being free at all during this week to do any shopping! These included stuff for my butterfly costume for the demo next weekend- 2m of black tape to attatch the wings to myself, at a very reasonable cost of under £2, and some acrylic paint to colour the wings at the rather less reasonable £12.95 for the paint itself, £7 for a brush, and £3 for a palette. If I hadn't been committed to the project (having spent all that time making the things last weekend) I think I wouldn't been prepared to fork out so much... ah well, just have to hope it comes in usefull for something else later! I also got some woolly tights- as I mentioned, after those lovely balmy weeks the weather has become quite cold. But I didn't have time to get shoes, which I really need- I don't much like the sturdy ones I have (they give me clumpy feet) and have been wearing a pair of court shoes, I suppose they are, with a slight wedge heel, which are mostly see-through (not clear plastic exactly, but mesh woven from thin clear plastic threads) but with some parts in gold leather, and with gold and silver embroidery on the toe. Very nice, and they make my feet look very delicate, and I'd love to go on wearing them forever- but they were really special occasion shoes and have not been robust enough to stand up to everyday wear. I'd had them two or three years, since my last year of UCL, and they were already suffering from worn away heels and unravelling of the silver threads covering the wedges espadrille style, but a couple of days ago the toe started coming away from the sole on one of them so they really need to be retired (unless I can find a shoe mender who'd take them on...).

We've now finally got all the questions sorted for the Climate Change Quiz tomorrow. And I stayed up (till 4.30am!) writing a leaflet about global warming- I'm pretty pleased with it, though- it ended up as kind of a dialogue in the style of the Pass Notes column they used to have in the Guardian's G2 (ie question and answer in a continuous conversational style with plenty of humour). I've just revisited it to add pictures- I cunningly split it into a document per page so I could use the watermark thing with different pictures each time, but I've realised this will cause problems when it comes to printing: I can't print double sided if the pages are in two separate documents! Anyway, all we have to do now is buy and cook the food tomorrow. I hope plenty of people show up!

At least we get an extra hour's sleep tonight- I could certainly do with it! Nasty dark evenings from now on though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home