28 December 2006

Christmas


As usual, it was just the four of us at home for Christmas- Mum, Dad, my brother and me. But I wouldn't want it any other way- well, I'd want Grandma, who always used to stay from Christmas Eve to Boxing Day, if she was still alive, but what I mean is that I wouldn't want a lot of relations, and I wouldn't want to spend Christmas away from home. Anyway, apart from the absence of Grandma, we did what we always do: the pantomime on Christmas Eve, a custom that started when we were small enough that we needed something to distract us if we weren't to become overexcited, then unpacking stockings on Christmas morning (yes, Father Christmas does still visit even though I'm 24 and my brother's 22), followed by church for Mum, my brother and me, while Dad, who's pretty much an atheist, starts preparing Christmas lunch. I finally decided back in February that I'm an agnostic tending pretty heavily towards atheism, but I went to church anyway, because it wouldn't be Christmas without church, to keep Mum company (though she said she didn't know that she was that religious either and was mostly going because it was Christmas), and because even though I am practically an atheist for logical reasons, believing in God was a habit for so many years that, even if I never believed all that strongly, I find it hard to feel that God doesn't exist even though rationally I know he probably doesn't. Actually, come to think of it, that wasn't a reason why I went to church, but more a description of my feelings when I was there. I had to keep reminding myself I didn't believe in him.

The obligatory sprouts

Anyway, we come back from church, have an hour or two to do whatever (usually have a closer look at the stocking presents, maybe start reading any books that may have been among them) before the lunch gets close enough to ready for it to be time to start clearing and decorating the table. Eat lunch, do washing up (end of which marks the point when all the disagreeable parts of the day (church, lunch (I like the roast potatoes and the battered mushrooms Dad does as a starter, but the rest of it (sprouts, gravy, nut roast, Christmas pudding) is ok but a bit boring- certainly more so than our average lunch) and washing up) are over), go up to sitting room and open presents, sit around not doing much (generally listening to music and reading, but all together for once), watch TV for the rest of the evening, with a break to eat some French bread and cheese- a light supper since lunch was so big, but actually I like it much better than Christmas lunch, especially as we always get in some interesting cheese for Christmas.


So we did all that, and then today we went to visit my grandparents in Greenford. Though I was born in Shrewsbury, grew up in Gloucestershire, and was new to London when I came to UCL (apart from a few day trips a year), I do have London in my blood: my dad was born and grew up there, and his parents have lived there all their lives, and I suppose it must go back quite a few generations on that side. It was nice to see them again- it must be almost a year since we visited. Nana had a knee operation a couple of weeks ago so she's still recovering from that, but I hope in a few months' time it'll make getting around easier for her, though she's having problems at the moment. Grandpa was fine- he always used to be the one with health problems, but now it's the other way round.

Though I love them both, I have to admit that I enjoy Grandpa's company more. He actually listens to what you say which Nana doesn't really- in fact she pretty much monopolises the conversation, changing subject with so little a pause that you often can't get a word in. Still, at least there are no awkward silences with her around! It's a shame that she's not so mobile now- it means they can't come to stay any more, we have to go and visit them if we want to see them. Which means we see them once rather than twice a year- and when they would come to stay it would be for a night or two so we got to see them longer- they haven't of course got room for us to stay when we come. I'm going to try to find time to visit them next term- it's silly being in London and not taking advantage of that.

Mum always makes the Christmas pudding herself, a month or so before
Christmas, and we all get to stir it


As for how my project has been progressing, the best I can say is that this year I haven't fallen behind with the thankyou letters but did one yesterday and one today. But the plan is to get A Lot done tomorrow- this does involve getting up early so I can't say I'm all that confident about it coming off, but I will at least try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home