10 December 2006

Four films in 30 hours


After weeks of anticipating what I'd write on the Principles and Methods feedback questionnaire at the end of term, when overcome with frustration by the teaching, I overslept and didn't make it to that lecture. I imagine that others will have made the same comments, assuming they made it out of bed...

I went into college anyway, since I was meeting Ginger at 2 at Holborn tube station, and had lunch in the Brunch Bowl for the last time of term. I then popped into the Union shop where I got a stuffed toy beaver, as a present for Ginger (though I didn't give it to her this time as I'll be seeing her again before Christmas). They sell them because the beaver figures on the LSE coat of arms (hence the title of the student newspaper I assume), and I'm giving it to her because she finds the word 'beaver' very funny*

Ginger and I had a long debate about what to go and see at the cinema, or whether to just go Christmas shopping. It was the one part I hadn't got all mapped out- I knew I wanted to go back to Oh! Bar in Camden for some food and a Jaffa Cake in the evening, and then come back to halls in time to watch Chicago (my favourite film and one Ginger also likes a lot; we saw it when I went to visit her in Cologne, and last year I got her the soundtrack for Christmas), with maybe a bottle of wine, and then either after that or the next day listen to Crystal Gayle- Ginger had the CD and we used to listen to it whenever I went round to her room in First year, over hot chocolate (when she wasn't singing me Scottish folk songs...). Her favourite song was 'Somebody loves you' because her mum used to sing it to her when she was little but I liked a song that I always called 'Suitcase' because at first that was all I picked out/ remembered of it, but which was actually called River Road, and we used to listen to that one a lot- actually I referred to the whole CD by that name and Ginger came to follow suit. If we were a couple, that would be our song, simply because it brings back memories of spending time together in her room in First year. Then in Third year (or Fourth year?) she bought me a copy, so now I have it on my computer.

Anyway, we had quite a discussion about the plans for the afternoon. It started outside Holborn tube and then adjourned to a cafe on Holborn where it continued over cups of tea. We had bought the Evening Standard for the cinema listings, and found out what was on. There didn't seem to be much other than Christmas films, which I like but Ginger isn't keen on. I wanted to go and see Happy Feet (that is to say, out of all the options, I wanted to go and see Happy Feet), but Ginger thought it would be awfull. Then after we resumed the conversation in the cafe, Ginger was saying ok, she'd go and see Happy Feet, and I was saying no, we shouldn't because she wouldn't enjoy it. She finally convinced me by saying she was all psyched up to see it now. It was three o'clock, and the film started at 3.30, in Wood Green, so we thought we'd maybe miss the adverts but be in time for the trailers- after all it was just straight up on the Piccadilly line from Holborn, and wasn't that long a journey. But on the way to Holborn station we met a man who said there was a fire there and it was shut. So we made for Russell Square, only we missed it so pressed on to King's Cross. When we got there it was about 3.25 though so we realised we weren't going to be in Wood Green for 3.30. We pulled out the Evening Standard and had a rethink. Luckily there was a 4.00 showing in Islington, which was close enough that even walking we were there in time. This was fortunate as en route Ginger was recalling at least two occasions with other friends when they'd gone from cinema to cinema trying to make different showings and just missing them, and it had involved something like four different cinemas each time.

Happy Feet was interesting. Strangely, where I found it hard to suspend my disbelief was not over the idea that penguins sing to each other in order to court, or that they can talk and tap dance, but that if people saw penguins tap dancing en masse they would not only decide that the penguins were trying to tell them something, but that they would instantly work out that it could only be that the humans were depleting the penguins' fish stocks, and that the UN would then spend five minutes discussing the matter before just deciding to stop fishing operations. Still, I don't regret seeing it, and Ginger said that she didn't either though she was very baffled.

Oh! Bar was good, as I had anticipated. Of course we knew that the cocktails were nice (we only had one between us this time, a Jaffa Cake), and that the ambience or atmosphere or decor or whatever was pleasant too, but we hadn't tried the food before, and that turned out to be very nice too.

We bought a bottle of wine on the way home, but once back had great problems opening it. I borrowed the really pathetic corkscrew that belongs to one of my flatmates again, and this time not only did it fail to budge the cork, it eventually snapped in two, one part still buried in the cork. This time, no cunning fork action did the trick- forks just shredded the cork. I can't remember whose idea it was, so I'll say it was Ginger's, but we used my sharp vegetable knife to stab right through the cork- actually I think it was Ginger's idea, and she meant for me just to use it to dig some of the cork out but I misunderstood. Once through, I tried to pull it out again but it was stuck fast and for a while it looked like it was going to have to stay there, but I got it out in the end. However upending the bottle still didn't result in anything coming out. I stabbed it again- once again having a tricky time getting it out- then did the same with a table knife. After that one small drop came out when it was upended, and another after it had been like that quite a while. However the rate was too slow to be practical.

We took it back to my room, where I stabbed it with some scissors in an effort to enlarge the hole. However it then felt like if I twisted and pulled the cork would come out. But in the process of attempting this I somehow pushed the cork into the bottle instead. Still, the wine was now unobstructed and flowed freely, and the cork hadn't even wanted to go inwards originally so I guess that counts as success.

We also got Cosmopolitan when we bought the wine, and spent an amusing couple of hours** reading it after watching Chicago. Incidentally, the new speakers are amazing- the best I've ever had on a computer, and possibly better than our old television. They need to be plugged into the wall as well as the computer- something I didn't realise straight away- so I suppose they're not so good for the environment. Still I won't be using them that often- if I watch something by myself I use headphones.

The next day I set the alarm for 10.30, planning to get up straight away. At 10.30 when it woke me up I decided to go for five more minutes. Then untill 10.45 in five minute intervals, then till 11 ditto. I think I really would have got up then only Ginger handed me the phone when it went off at 10.55 and so I set it without getting out of bed, and fell asleep before completing the process. So it was after 12 when I got up, and poor Ginger was rather hungry. We had some toast (I now have a toaster- I brought it back after my visit home last weekend; it used to belong to my grandma (now dead), and my parents came on it during a clear out. It was really annoying doing toast under the grill because you had to keep a constant eye on it to stop it burning), then made a trip to the vending machine before settling down to watch a film Ginger brought with her, In the Mood for Love by Wong Kar Wai. It was pretty good (but of course being us we still found plenty in it to laugh about, despite it being a serious and poignant film). Ginger couldn't stay much after that, so I accompanied her to Liverpool St tube.

I then wanted to go and get some food and a corkscrew to replace the one I broke. I remembered Flatmate 7 talking of a Robert Dyas on Bishopsgate, and walked a long way down, till I thought it couldn't possibly be this far and must have been in the other direction. Then I found it, but it was closed on Saturdays, so after more wandering in search of an open ironmonger's, and a detour into Marks and Spencer's where I bought 3 tubs of their chocolately mini bites (well, they were on special offer, 3 for £5), so as to have something sweet to eat when I'm back home, I eventually decided I was going to have to take the tube somewhere. Spotting Fenchurch St station, I spent a couple of minutes searching for the underground before remembering that it was Farringdon I was thinking of. I found my way to Monument, and was going to go to Baker St, remembering the Robert Dyas I'd been to at the beginning of term, before suddenly realising at Euston Sq that I was being silly- I didn't have to go that far, I could go to the one on Tottenham Court Rd that I always used to go to when I was at UCL- the one that introduced me to Robert Dyas, in fact- and got out.
Robert Dyas on Tottenham Court Rd was open, but it didn't have corkscrews. I spent quite a bit of time searching before I noted the label on the empty rack. Of course, it makes sense that that would be quite a popular item at this time of year. Still, I thought while I was there I might as well get a sieve- which I'd been wanting for a while- and another wooden spatula to replace the one that was broken (actually I got a set of three). The sieve wasn't actually hanging on one of the racks but lying underneath. Comparing the descriptions I worked out that it was £4.99, and thus cheaper than the Tefal one (at £5.99), which I didn't want anyway. I was rather surprised therefore to be charged £16 for it- but sadly I didn't notice till it was too late (I paid by card).

I thought I'd probably have to go to Oxford St to find a corkscrew, but that there was just a chance they might have one in Sainsbury's, where I could also get the food I needed. Miraculously, they did have a corkscrew, and I got one for myself as well as one to replace the one I broke. They didn't have any ready roll pastry though. So I bought most of what I needed, and went to Tesco's when I finally reached Bishopsgate again (after quite a long wait for the 205 bus since I just missed one). But Tesco's didn't have it either. They didn't even have frozen peas.

I'd arranged with Flatmate 7 to watch a DVD together this evening, and we also cooked stuff together to eat while watching. What I wanted the pastry for was vegetarian mini pasties- the filling was easy enough: soya mince (I still had more than half a bag from last time I cooked with Flatmates 7 and 3), onion, carrot, potato, peas, garlic, vegetable stock, soy sauce and marmite- it turned out perfectly. I decided to have a bash at making pastry even though I didn't have a recipe. After trying it and finding it didn't hold together, then adding more water and more flour, I arrived at something that still broke very easily but did stay together enough for it to be folded in half over the filling and then lifted onto the baking tray. It tasted very dry and crumbly though, and didn't brown, so I'm not sure it quite qualifies for the label 'pastry'. The other dish I made worked better- soft Philadelphia style*** cheese with grated cheddar mixed in wrapped in gyoza skins (but in the shape of won ton) and deep fried. I'd bought some Mexican salsa which went well with it. Flatmate 7 made a very nice dish with broccoli and mushrooms, and also some bean thread noodles, as well as helping with what I was making.

Flatmate 1 who was also in the kitchen some of the time asked if I had any movies he could borrow. I said I was going to watch a film with Flatmate 7 and he was welcome to watch too or borrow something else if he didn't fancy our choice. He was on the phone when we started to watch (at the kitchen table- the original plan had been to do it in my room but there was so much food it would have been hard without a table), but came in later and borrowed Spirited Away. We were watching Singing in the Rain. Halfway through we cleared away the dishes and made some tea, and Flatmate 7 cut up a sweet that I'd had in Japan, but which I can't remember the name of. It's made of red beans.

We spent quite a while talking after the film, and Flatmate 7 showed me some things from Taiwan, including a pen with an amazing roll out map. Flatmate 1 came in after a bit and joined in the conversation. When we finally went back to our rooms, I started the horrible task of packing: I'm going home for the holidays tomorrow- and Flatmate 7's coming with me, just to have lunch and get a look at the Cotswolds, then she's going back in the evening. I filled my massive suitcase with clothes, books (textbooks, novels and cookbooks), origami paper, DVDs and food- when Mum's out, ie most weekdays, the remaining three of us tend to get our own lunches and as there isn't a shop in walking distance I thought it would be prudent to stock up on cans of soup and jars of pesto in London. And of course there were the chocolatey mini bites.

I still have to pack things like toothbrush and toothpaste- and of course my computer!

*apparently her mum finds the word even funnier. When she (Ginger) saw my Beaver bag that I got free in Fresher's Week, she wanted to know where she could get one, as it would make a great Christmas present for her mum. Sadly I had to explain they'd only been going in Fresher's Week. She said she'd pay £10 for one if I could find anyone willing to part with theirs, but somehow I haven't got round to pursuing that very actively- I keep meaning to ask SC2 if she'd be interested, since I've had hers for five weeks or so, since the Climate Change Awareness Week Quiz, and have been meaning to give it back to her, but if she hasn't missed it all that time perhaps she isn't that attached to it and would exchange it for £10. But I don't think I can ask her in time to get it to Ginger before Christmas now

**It's not that Cosmopolitan is particularly hilarious, just that we seem to be able to find a rich vein of humour in just about anything- Ginger's set text Hippolytus in First year had us in hysterics, to take a random example- and anything that involves sex just lends itself even more

***I actually used Sainsbury's own brand at 40 something p compared to over £1 for genuine Philadelphia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home